Monday, September 16, 2013

A BETTER GIFT

When the Lord saw her, he was moved with pity for her and said to her, "Do not weep."
Luke 7:13

Edgar Guest wrote a poem where he asked God for many things. In the end though, he never really got what he asked for but his prayers were answered anyway. Part of the poem reads: 

I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life
I was given life that I might enjoy all things...
I got nothing that I asked for - but everything I had hoped for. 
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered. 

The widow of Nain has the same story. All she wanted was a comforting word, sympathy from others and the company of friends at a time when she had lost her only son. Aside from being a bereaved widow, she was now a penniless old woman, too. But Jesus knew her needs. More than sympathy, He knew that she needed her son. So He raised him back to life. 

Jesus understands us better than we do ourselves. Often, He gives us nothing of the things we pray for because He always has something better for us. We only need to lift up our needs to Him and trust that everything will work out. 

By: Rod Velez, Philippines (rod.velez@gmail.com)

REFLECTION: When God doesn't five you what you pray for, do you hold on to faith or do you turn to bitterness and blame?

No comments:

Post a Comment